Looking back
Today was Robbie's school field trip in honor of Children's Day and the Dragon Boat Festival. It is June now which means we are nearing the end of our time in this city. We have found a new job, a new preschool, and just this week a new apartment. I will write about that experience shortly because it was pretty amazing, but today I am reflecting on Robbie's schoolyear drawing to a close. In September I wrote about the beginning of Robbie's time in preschool and all of my fears that went into that time. Now I am at the other end looking back, and I am amazed at what this year has brought.
When we started out, every day was a struggle. There were always tears, both his and mine. I struggled and struggled with what I was doing. Was I asking too much of my 3 year old? We believed that we had made the right decision, and that the temporary pain it was causing our son would be reaped in much larger benefits. I am so happy to report that by His grace that was true.
Now, Robbie goes to school every day with excitement and anticipation of the day to come. He knows each day is different and looks forward to them all for the fun he will have; flag day, , exercise day, rollerblading day, chinese character day, and friday. Over the course of this year, he has learned to recognize and use his ABC's, how to count, to add and subtract, how to rollerblade, how to do some amazing chinese dancing, and how to read about 30 Chinese characters. Added to that, he has learned how to communicate in basic Chinese. He can greet his classmates, play with them, and communicate all of his needs to his teachers (water, food, bathroom, likes and dislikes). When we meet a stranger on the street, he can now answer questions, like how old he is, if he is a boy or girl, what country is he from?, where is he going?, does he like or not like something? It has been amazing to see the freedom that this ability to communicate has brought him. Last year he was afraid even to play with Chinese children on the playground because they would ask him something that he wouldn't understand, or want him to do something and he didn't know what. He would always feel shy and threatened by his inability to communicate with the world around him. This year he walks outside without fear, tells the ayi stories about his day, plays with other children on the playground, talks to the taxi drivers, and eagerly opens the door for the water man or the post man. All of this is possible for him because he can now make himself understood and basically understand what is happening around him. This has given him a whole new confidence. He has learned to play with other children without needing to completely understand them. He is confident in his ability to be understood enough to have fun together. Each day he eats lunch at school before I come to get him. This has greatly expanded his palate and again introduced a whole new level of confidence. He knows the names of Chinese foods and if he likes them or doesn't like them. He eats a variety of foods I didn't even know existed until 2 years ago. He can de-head his own shrimp and face new foods without fear.
I am so thankful for Robbie's preschool and his sweet teachers. They have truly gone out of their way to make him feel loved and to help him to learn. They were true blessings to us.
Of course he is not Chinese and he never will be. He will always stick out in this country because of his white skin, and brown eyes. We have no desire for him to feel Chinese or to blend completely in. He realizes he is different but the differences no longer intimidate him. He is happy to be American, and he is happy to have Chinese friends, Dutch friends, Czech friends, Taiwanese friends, Canadian friends, British friends, and German friends. He knows far more about the world then I ever did at 3, or maybe even at 13. I am so proud of him for learning to be brave and to try new things. I am so thankful that he memorized and learned to hold true, Ps. 23:4 "I will not be afraid for God is with me" I am relieved that by the Grace of God our tough love paid off and our son is a stronger more accomplished and confident child then he was at the beginning of the school year. Our tender hearted loving son remains but he has developed a new sense of confidence that is a blessing to see!
Hebrews 12:11 "For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peacful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it"







I was reading with tears. You are a good mother Gretchen, and Robbie is a great Boy! Love you!
ReplyDeleteI'm crying, too! Praise God. He led you right where he wanted you. And you'll be able to say the same thing next year.
ReplyDeleteI love you.