The Fount of Every Blessing
My birthday has rolled around again (that happens so quickly
these days J). Sometimes, I’m surprised by my own age, I’ll
wake up some mornings and think I’m still in my 20’s only to jolt myself back
to reality that more time has passed then I think. We use our birthdays and anniversaries to
mark the passage of time. They call us
to stop and remember what has happened since the last time we passed this way.
And whether the memories are good or bad there is something in us that needs to
recall, evaluate, and acknowledge what has transpired. As I pass my milestone this year I am
captivated by the words of a very old hymn penned in 1757 by Robert Robinson,
“Come Thou Fount”.
“Come thou fount of
every blessing tune my heart to sing thy grace.”
Looking back over my year and even farther past that into
the years before, I find that my life is covered with evidences of God’s
grace. They are weaved into every
portion of my existence and they color all of my memories both good and bad.
Too easily I am distracted by the annoyances of daily living and I find myself
in the middle of grumbling and self-pity.
I so desire that in this coming year He would “tune my heart” to sing of
His grace to me. As both of my children
currently play the violin, I am painfully aware of how grating the sound of an
out of tune instrument can be. Without
His tuning in my life I know I sound this way too. Instead of screeching out the sounds of
complaint, worry, self-pity, and judgment, I wish instead that the beautiful
sounds of mercy, praise, and thankfulness would play out of me. Because after all, “streams of mercy, never ceasing call for songs of loudest praise.”
“O to grace how great
a debtor daily I’m constrained to be, let thy goodness like a fetter bind my
wandering heart to thee. Prone to wander
Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love.”
I have struggled with my purpose lately and my desire to be
in this place. It hasn’t felt as clear
as it once was, but I wonder if that has less to do with this place, then it has
to do with me. When my eyes are fixed on
myself, my needs, my security, my happiness, and my desires, I take them off of
the Fount of Blessings. In doing that I
forget so easily what a debtor to grace that I am. All of the good things in my life I owe to
Him. He has poured grace upon grace into
me in the form of life, health, family, friends, forgiveness, peace, and
eternal security. Recognizing His
goodness is the thing that pulls me back from my restless wandering into a
place of quiet peace. It reminds me that
it is in thankful service to Him that I find the joy and contentment I
seek. “Here’s my heart o take and seal it, seal it for thy courts
above.”
“Here I raise my
Ebenezer, hither by thy help I’ve
come. And I hope by thy good pleasure
safely to arrive at home.”
I am often reminded in life how important it is to set up
remembrances to the blessings of God in my life. Remembering what He has done always inspires
confidence in what He will do. So as I
mark another year off, I am reminded to raise up my stone of remembrance and
acknowledge that I’ve only come this far by the loving grace of God in my
life. Continuing on will also surely
depend on His continued mercy and grace poured out on me. And to help my heart stay fixed on that fact,
I need to be proclaiming His grace out loud for others to hear, but mostly for
myself to hear and remember. In the
shadow of that grace I can move forward with confidence.
I have been blessed by the evidence of this grace in the
lives of 2 women this month, 1 is a young American mother of 3 small children who
is battling cancer while she almost daily writes of things she is thankful
for. I think she grows more beautiful
ever day because of His grace shining so clearly through her life. The second one is a Chinese woman who is
serving as my 2nd mom and quasi-grandmother to my baby for this
portion of our lives. She has slowly
shared with me her story, and it is full of more loss and hardship then I was
prepared to hear. But despite this, she
approaches every day with a smile and a joyful optimism that God is her helper
and in Him she has all she needs. These
women and many others like them inspire me to pull close to the heart of God
and proclaim His grace no matter what the circumstance. I hope that is the story of this next year of
my life as I look forward to this:
“O that day when free from sinning we will see thy lovely
face, full arrayed in blood washed linen, how we’ll sing thy Sovereign
grace. Come my Lord no longer tarry,
bring thy promises to pass, for we know thy hand will bring us safely home with
thee at last.”
This really spoke to my heart. So beautifully written and using one of my favorite hymns. Thanks for investing the time in what is clearly the gift of writing for the exhortation of others.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite hymn applied so beautifully and practically to everyday life. Thank you Gretchen for sharing your musings and reminding me of priorities:)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the post, Gretchen. Honestly, I've been questioning myself why I ever left China and moved to Detroit. It has not been an easy transition for me at all. Your post was a good reminder for me to focus on others, rather than becoming self-absorbed. You and Rob were a huge blessing to me in China, and I'm confident that God will continue to bless your family through the joys and trials of life. I will continue to lift you up and the rest of the group over there. I miss all of you guys.
ReplyDeleteHi Paul, just saw your comment tonight. We miss you too very often but are confident that God has good things planned for you in Detroit. Hang in there! We are lifting you up as well. Big life transitions are never easy but they do help us grow!
ReplyDelete