True Love

Living as a foreigner in China makes you an instant expert in all sorts of things you weren’t previously qualified to do.  Most teachers here get a foreign “expert” certificate just because they speak English.  I’ve become a preschool teacher,  emergency medical helpline, child rearing expert,  “Excellent” Western cook, and a list of a few other things that I wasn’t previous qualified for and wouldn’t be if I wasn’t living in China.  Somehow my foreign face comes with a whole new set of expectations.  This past Saturday I had another such new “expert” title added to my list. 

Sweet friends of ours decided to get married.  They are young and poor by worldly standards.  In China you are supposed to wait to marry until you own a home and are already well established.  And so they were waiting…….until they realized there really wasn’t any reason to wait.  Just because culture demands it doesn’t always make it right.  They are in their late 20’s, they love each other, they love our Father, and they were ready to commit to life together.  So they asked if the local family would mind just tacking a simple wedding onto the end of their next time together.  Instead, they gave them an extravagant gift of love.  A two hour ceremony was quickly organized and prepared for in about two weeks time.  Everyone from 2 years old to 80 years old played a part.  There were vocalists, instrumentalists, speakers, videographer, chef’s (to cater a lunch reception), and yours truly as photographer. The bride knew I own a moderately nice camera and she asked if I would photograph the day for her.  I simply own the camera, I don’t possess any real photographic training or skill but how could I say no?  We joyfully and tearfully watched as they sweetly joined their two hearts and lives together in front of family and friends.  I was thrilled to help them memorialize their special day with photos. 

Every part of the ceremony was memorable and thoughtful although the people throwing the bash had known this couple for only a few short months.  It was a true example of the body in beautiful action.  Everyone sacrificed their time for a couple they barely knew.  But through Him we share the same heart and so they saw the need and couldn’t help but meet it.  And not just barely meet it, but extravagantly meet it.  It was a privilege to witness;  Love in spirit and in truth. Both sets of parents who came into town for the event were blown away by what they saw.  It was their first time seeing His family in action and it left an impression that won't quickly be forgotten.  


After the wedding we headed off to the nearby park.  It was January so it was FREEZING cold and windy.  We ran from spot to spot with the bride and groom shedding their coats at the last second, just in time for me to snap a shot and then putting the coats back on as fast as possible.  Our fingers and toes were numb.  But it was fun.  And again a young girl joined us who they had known for less than a month, but she volunteered to hold the coats and carry the veil and adjust the dress as we photographed.  She was chilled to the bone, but still she smiled and helped with not a thought for herself or a whisper of complaint.


I hadn’t been sure what to expect when I left my house that morning, but I certainly didn’t expect to be so blessed by all I saw.  These sweet friends have a beautiful and true love.  Watching them pledge their hearts to each other was precious.  But watching this family (His family) in action was priceless.  Rarely on earth do you see such an exquisite treasure.    

Comments

  1. Oh I love this one. I can't stop smiling because their smiles are so sincere! So happy for them and so glad you were all able to enjoy this day together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise Him for the body and for this young couple that decided to follow their hearts instead of tradition! May they be blessed from above as they begin their new family! And you did a great job on the photography!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Identity

Not forgotten

The Fount of Every Blessing