Bleeding Hearts
I’ll admit it, I’ve been in a funk recently. Not unhappy, just mostly wanting to be at
home, with my little family, keeping to ourselves. Not really wanting to spend time with other
people or get very involved in their lives. I kept asking Rob if we could move
to an island with no other people; Swiss Family Robinson style. I knew it wasn’t really good, but I wasn’t
quite sure where it was coming from or what to do about it. It was just a vague feeling really.
Then just this week God came and put His finger on it and
helped me see with startling clarity what was in my heart. Someone came up to me very unexpectedly. It was the kind of person you are friendly
with, know the name of, and probably wave to.
But beyond that you know nothing about them, or they about you. Well, this person walked up to me, asked if I
was a Christian, and when she confirmed that I was, she proceeded to tell me
her story. It was a sad story, filled
with regret and heartbreak. She told me
in hopes that I would care, and could offer some hope to her. I listened and tried to understand as best I
could. But in my deep heart I just kept
wishing that she hadn’t told me. Now
that I knew, I couldn’t just smile and wave anymore. Now my heart was broken for her. I hurt for her pain and the brokenness of her
situation. I won’t ever look at her the
same way again. Now I know………..
That’s the trouble you see.
It’s why I wanted to stay inside.
I don’t always want to know. Sometimes
knowing can be exhausting. Recently I
had my heart broken by someone I loved and invested my heart into. I invested my time, my care, and my heart
into her world. And then when I least
expected it, when things were getting better, when He was changing her world
into something good, she walked away, not just from me, but from her husband,
her child, and most importantly, God.
She is in a spiral of hopelessness that just keeps getting worse. But instead of turning back to Him, she is
looking for any way but His way to fill the emptiness in her soul. Watching her self-destruct is agonizing.
The healing I needed came just that night. I had forgotten all about my plans for dinner
with a friend I rarely see. When she
reminded me, I was tempted to cancel given my gloomy mood, but I knew I would
regret not seeing her. So I picked up
another friend and off we went on the long drive to the other side of the
city. Over dinner we talked about where
He had us and where He was taking us and we shared our hearts. It was the medicine my heart needed, the shot
in the arm my courage needed.
The fact remains; we live in a broken world, with broken
hurting people. Like it or not the pain
will come and the hurts will happen.
Choosing to love and care for other person always involves pain of some
kind. Seeing people as He sees them and
loving them as He loves them, means your heart will bleed for them. His heart bleeds for them and the more you
become like Him, the more your heart will beat like His heart. You won’t be able to ignore their pain or
their tears and it will hurt. But if He
is our example then I have far to go. He
left heaven and came to us. He came to
us in our brokenness, in our sin, in our despair. He didn’t hide himself from our pain but
instead He took it upon Himself and carried it to the cross. He redeemed me at that cross and gave me a
new heart. It’s a heart full of hope,
and little by little it’s a heart changing to be like His. Since He hurt for me, I will hurt for other
people. And that’s ok.
It’s ok because the hurt won’t last forever. There is coming a day when He will wipe away
every tear. This broken aching world
will be replaced with something new. The
sin that rips at our souls and tears apart our homes and families will be
defeated. We will be at rest; forever at
rest. No more broken homes, no more
sickness, no more death. This endless
cycle of people hurting each other and themselves will be broken. The blood that was shed for your sin and mine
will wash it all away. And we will be
forever with the Lord. I can’t
wait.
But for now I am here with the broken people that I
love. So I will pray for strength to
love them more and courage to keep the doors of my heart wide open and keep
pointing people to the hope that is only found in Him. He’s worth the wait.
Matthew 9:36 "When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them because they were harassed and helpless like sheep without a shepherd."
Ephesians 2:4-5 "But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ, by grace you have been saved."
Revelation 21:4 "He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away."
Beautiful, Gretchen. Thank you for your honesty.
ReplyDelete