Farewell

The bags are finally packed ( I hope )!  The van is loaded, the kids are asleep and I am headed that way myself in a minute.  We are headed out again on our long journey 1/2 way around the world to our other home.  This is always the worst part.  I hate the packing and the last minute rush to wrap up the details.  More than that, I hate the goodbyes.  It just never seems to get any easier, hugging the ones you love and not knowing when you will see them again.  I desperately wish I could just fast forward from last week when we were all sitting around having a lovely time together, straight until we landed in our living room far far away.  This middle week is always torture.  

This visit home was without a doubt, wonderful.  We had so much quality time with people we love so dearly.  Some friends drove for days (sometimes in uncomfortable conditions) just to spend a little time with us.  Others spent their money and time going on vacation with us, or taking us out to dinner, or having us into their home.  Many wonderful sisters and brothers made tons of food to help us put together our dinner party.  Some gave gifts to us or our kids to help us buy something fun or cover travel expenses.  The wonderful people we have met in the different churches we have visited were warm and kind.  Our times with family were precious too.  We had so much time for the kids to play with cousins, cuddle with grandparents, and just be carefree.  It was refreshing and soothing to our tired hearts.  We are SO very thankful that God arranged this trip for us with incredible precision and created for us a wonderful haven of rest and love.  

But now the goodbyes are upon us.  We have said so many this week, with a few of the hardest left for tomorrow morning.  Part of the pain this time comes from the fact that this time a few of the goodbyes will most likely be forever goodbyes.  Of course we never have the guarantee that we will see anyone again, life is brief and unpredictable.  But we both have grandparents in their 80's with failing health and a clearly limited time span before them.  We have shed many tears over those goodbyes.  Time is fleeting and never long enough when it comes to soaking in the ones you have loved for so long.  How to say goodbye when you think it might be forever?  There is no easy answer to that question.  Our prayer and our hope is that they will settle with assurance their account with our Father and accept the life He offers.  Not a temporary and fleeting life like the one we cling to now.  Not a vapor or a wilting flower, but a full and strong life that will forever thrive in the presence of it's Creator.  Goodbyes always remind me of God and His promise that one day I will be done saying goodbye and will have a forever home.  I am living for that day, and with each goodbye I say here on this earth, my desire for that home grows in strength.  

I love the Laura Story song "Blessings" and a line from it has been ringing in my mind since I listened to it this week .  "The pain reminds our heart, that this is not our home". For me that is so true.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Identity

Not forgotten

The Fount of Every Blessing