The English Language

Almost 2 weeks ago now, we had the joy of having a visit from some wonderful friends who we have known for more than half of our lives now. They are always a source of great encouragement to us and this visit was no exception. I've been mulling over many of the things that we talked about and one in particular has continued to stick out to me. The incredible blessings that I have been given were given to me so that I could make much out of His name. While we were particularly discussing the physical blessings that American's possess including wealth and health, the one thing that triggered in my mind was even more simple than all that. I was born in an English speaking home. Out of Psalms 67:1-2, "May Gd be gracious to us and bless us, and make his face to shine upon us, that your way may be known on the earth, your saving power among all nations.

I able to be where I am because we speak English. English as a first language is the key that unlocks the door for us to live abroad. We are English teachers as our visas say and although my husband is a very gifted teacher with a degree in Education, the most primary qualification he has for his job is being a native English speaker. The longer I have lived abroad, the more I have become amazed at the number of different nationalities that speak English. Our friends on this side of the world have come from all over Europe, Africa, Asia, and South America, but the reason we are able to form friendships with these people is because they speak English. All over the world, people want to speak English. Barely a day goes by when someone doesn't ask me to tutor their child in English. If I wished I could tutor every evening and weekend for the rest of my life. Most people here see learning English as one of their keys to success in life. You cannot easily travel or live abroad unless you are able to speak English. The expat (foreigners) community here is entirely built around the use of the English language to communicate. Our avenues of friendship into the lives of the nationals here as well as our employment, are based on our English speaking status.

I learned English without effort and without choice. I was speaking and understanding fluently before my memories even began to stick. I have never much stopped to consider the great gift that was afforded to me just by my native tongue. I have noticed my material blessings, my wealth, and health, and education, and freedom. But I've never before acknowledged that native English speaking has opened the door for me into most of the rest of the world. I can travel easily, befriend people of every nationality, and share the greatest news of all time simply because I speak English. What a gift! This past week I sat around a table with 12 women from all over the world for lunch. We spoke English. English was the native language of only 3 of the women at the table but it was the language of choice for all. I am convicted that my free ability to speak was given to me for a much bigger reason than easy lunch conversation or a way to pay the bills. I possess a precious gift, a powerful tool, a blessing that was given to me so I could freely share what was so freely given to me; Hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Identity

Not forgotten

The Fount of Every Blessing