Growing in Grace


-->



I love working in a school.   As the school nurse, I have a unique opportunity to interact with all of the students and since my concern doesn’t need to be for their academic progress I am free to focus my attention on their health but also on their hearts.  I am sad when they make bad choices and so proud when they step up and make hard right choices. When I see someone struggling to fit in or worse making harmful choices my heart hurts. When I see a student with family struggles I ache. They stop and talk to me, either because they don’t feel well, or just because they need a listening ear. I love those moments. I don’t take it lightly that they trust me with their hearts. It is one of the absolute greatest joys for me in being a nurse.  I have learned perhaps more from my students then they have learned from me. One of the greatest lessons they have taught me is; never to judge a person and their behavior or attitudes at face value. There is behind every person a much deeper story than we often have the ability to know. Even very young people sometimes have very complicated stories, and if we knew what they were facing or had already faced our perspective on their behaviors might be much different. Everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt, and an extra measure of grace whenever possible. Assuming that we’ve got someone “figured out” is unfair. Acknowledging that there is much more than meets the eye and looking for opportunities to see and encourage the best in people is an act of grace. Labeling and stereotyping those around us is equally unfair. Understanding that we are each on our very own journey and have more that we can and will learn allows for us to both acknowledge and appreciate the signs of growth or change that we see in those around us. Believing that positive growth is possible and cheering it on when we see it, is another act of grace. That doesn’t mean it will always happen and definitely doesn’t mean it will always happen “on time”.  In six years at school I have enjoyed immensely watching and quietly cheering on the growth that I see in all of these children. Their resilience amazes me. What they often achieve while facing down frequent moves, new cultures, difficult home situations, and second or third languages is incredible. I feel so blessed to know them all and be a witness to their stories. This year, I witnessed some real and positive progress in the lives of some of my more challenging students, (ones who have tested my patience and made me look deep to find potential). It made me want to jump up and down (I even might have once or twice). It’s proof that everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt. Thankfully I work at a wonderful school where kids get second and third and so many more chances and where time is taken to consider the whole picture.   I love being a nurse.  It’s most precious gift to me, has been the ability to come alongside people of all ages and listen to a little bit of their story while I tend to their aches and pains or manage their illnesses. I’ll forever be grateful to have that privilege. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Identity

Not forgotten

The Fount of Every Blessing