Broken
A while ago, I was watching a TV program that is usually
pretty light. But in an unusually
serious moment, one of the characters commented to the other one that she
envied people who were “normal” and that it was only “broken” people like them
who would do the type of job they did.
The other character commented back to her that she was only seeing the
surface and that actually being “broken” WAS normal. It was a very uncharacteristically profound
moment in this silly show, but the idea has stuck with me and rolled around in
my head as I’ve been living life these past weeks.
When I was younger I assumed that most people were “normal”
and a few unfortunate people had problems.
The older I became, and the more people I met, I was surprised discover that
actually being “broken” IS normal. We
are all broken in some way. Some of us
wear it out loud for everyone to see with clothing, hairstyles, or accessories
that scream for attention and draw people to recognize the brokenness
instantly. Some of us wear it outloud in
a different way with anger, insecurity, fear, or attention seeking being the
most noticeable feature we proclaim. But
most of us try hard to cover it with nice clothes, a pretty smile, and the
façade that we’ve, “got it all together”.
We do our best to keep our emotions in check, do what we need to do, and
not stand out from the crowd. We hope
desperately that no one notices our broken places. Some of us are so good at this that we even succeed
in fooling ourselves. We aren’t
comfortable with it in ourselves and so we understandably also dislike it in
other people. The more broken someone
appears, the farther away from them we inch, hoping that their brokenness doesn’t
somehow rub off on us, or cause someone (or ourselves) to notice our own.
That’s why the gospel is so shocking to us. While we are busying running away from
brokenness, Jesus is busy running towards it.
The Bible from beginning to end is a story of us being broken, and Jesus
coming to our rescue. We all know the
beginning, the first story of brokenness, but I find it so intriguing that the big
rescue story that follows it, is full of little rescue stories full of the most
broken people you can imagine. I read
this year a serious of fictional accounts of the women who made up the lineage
of Jesus. It told in a fictional, but
historically accurate way what their lives might have been like living at that
time in history from the little we know about them in the Bible: a prostitute, a pagan widow, an adulterer, a
woman who played a hooker to sleep with her father-in-law. The list is sort of shocking really. These women are not the ones that I would
have picked to be mothers in the line of Jesus Christ. Their stories are messy, messy in ways we don’t
like to think about. Thinking through
their stories on a personal and historical level was fascinating. I wouldn’t have chosen them, but Jesus
did. Of all the people in time and
history, they were the ones He wanted to include in His story. And then when he came, he proved it again by spending his time with the outcasts, the sick, the poor, and the damaged instead of the rich, the royal, the religious, or the powerful. He always goes straight for the broken ones.
It reminded me again that the way I see things, and the way
he sees things are so drastically different.
I see brokenness and want to walk away.
It makes me uncomfortable, it threatens to mess up my plans, it reminds
me of my own brokenness, it just seems too messy. But when he sees brokenness, he steps up,
ready to offer hope, ready to work change, ready to rescue. What a difference. If I’m honest I need an attitude change. I need to see the brokenness and not turn
away. I need to walk towards it, extend
my hand, and offer an introduction to hope.
We are all broken somehow in some way, I certainly am. Neglect, betrayal, failure, bitterness, abandonment,
abuse, addictions, loss, fear, sickness mark all of our stories somehow. We live in a fallen world and none of us have escaped unscathed. But there is
hope. He offers us healing, and
demonstrates for us in the pages of scripture that there isn’t one of us that
has fallen too far for grace. No matter
what your story, he is ready and willing to offer hope, forgiveness, and
healing. And because I’ve experienced
that hope, forgiveness and healing I should be looking with his eyes out into
his world, and stand ready to offer an introduction to hope.
This brought tears to my eyes Gretchen. I sometimes wish people could see the brokenness I am hiding yet you've reminded me there's one who already saw it, put it there and holds me through it. Thank you for your convicting encouragement!
ReplyDeleteHi Kathy, I don't often get comments on here and I do often forget to check for them, so I just noticed this tonight. Thanks for your honesty and thanks for your encouragement. Praise Him that this encouraged you when you needed it. Praying for you today that God blesses you in a special way.
Delete