Perfect Timing
One week from today it’s going to happen. My baby will turn 1. I can’t believe it has been a year since I sat in that hospital bed, and waited, and waited and then he came. If you followed my pregnancy at all then you know how stressful it was with the mystery problems and crazy treatment ideas from the doctor. Up until the day that Oliver was born we just didn’t know what to expect. We could only pray and wait. And then they day came, and into the world he came, all 4 pounds of tiny perfection.
Over the past few weeks I have been pondering why everything
happened the way that it did. Of course
I won’t know for sure until I see God someday face to face and can ask all of
my questions. But looking back I am
amazed already. I had always wanted to have
a few children, 4 at the least, 6 at the most.
But after I had Maddie, no more came.
We waited, and prayed, and waited some more. I never miscarried, but I also never got
pregnant again. There was nothing wrong
so there was nothing to do but wait. Finally I got tired waiting and worn out from
asking, and told Rob that I needed to accept that it simply wasn’t in God’s
plan for us.
Then one day, I was pregnant. It took me a while to realize that what I was
experiencing wasn’t jet-lag or a stomach bug, but was actually morning
sickness. It was a rocky nine months,
but in the end I held in my arms this tiny perfect little baby boy. And over the course of this year I have come to realize he was also born at the perfect time.
2015 was a hard year for our family. In our personal lives we experienced a
lot of moments that left our hearts heavy.
The vast majority of people that we had come to care for and invest in here
in our China home, moved away, both foreigners and Chinese, family and friends. People we trusted deeply disappointed
us. All 4 of us have shed our fair share
of tears this year. But through it all
there has been one consistent bright spot, a reason to laugh every day even if
it was a hard day: that is Oliver. He delights us daily with his silly faces,
baby noises, and simple but profound accomplishments. The joy that a baby brings is matched by
nothing else. And we have needed that
joy this year. We have needed the
reminder to laugh and the release of tension that is brought by making silly
faces at a baby.
All those years when I couldn’t imagine why God was saying
no, again and again and again, and he was really just saying wait. Wait until the right time. He was saving our Oliver for the time when we
needed him most. We would always have
loved Oliver, no matter when he came to join us. But having him at this time, in this season,
has brought healing to our hurt and soothed our ache. 2015 was a hard year, but we can’t ever say
it wasn’t a good year, because it brought Oliver into our lives, and that is a
blessing we can’t overlook.
Thinking through all of that, and recognizing the perfect
timing of Oliver’s arrival, has brought with it a much needed reminder: God is good all the time, and His plan for my
life is perfectly organized and incredibly loving. So 2015 with all of its challenges and
heartache, wasn’t a year that God forgot us, on the contrary it was a year that
He planned specifically for us. And in foreseeing
the difficulty He also provided for our joy by giving us Oliver. That
realization brings me hope for the future and confidence in the fact that we
can trust His plan for our family.
Although we can’t see what is coming next, and although it will surely
involve some hard times, it will also surely involve good times. And whatever it is will be His best for
us.


Comments
Post a Comment