A Weary Soul
It’s been about 2 months since my last post here. I’ve tried to write a few times by the
thoughts in my head just haven’t come together.
My last post was about saying goodbye to people we had come to treasure
as best friends and family during our time here. After the whirlwind of goodbyes and the end
of the semester we rushed off to spend the summer stateside visiting other very
wonderful family and friends. It was an
idyllic summer spent playing with cousins, taking swim lessons, and eating too
much ice-cream (as if there is such a thing J). We are blessed during our times back in the
states to return to a place we once called our everyday home which in so many
ways still is our home. We stayed in my
parent’s home with my sister and her crazy crew living only a few blocks
away. My parents dote on my kids with
all their might to make up for the months apart. Our best friends still live in town so we
squeezed in visits with them (although not enough). Our church family always welcomes us back
with open arms and goes out of their way to spoil us and make us feel right at
home. Every summer spent that way is
like dreamland for my children.
I knew returning to China this time would be harder than
most. Each of us had lost friends in the
spring, dear close friends that won’t easily be replaced. Coming back without them here made everything
seem empty and lonely. There have been
many tears from all of us over these past few weeks and I think there will be
many more to come over the course of the year.
We loved deeply and have lost deeply.
But we have to make the best of it, pity parties won’t bring them back
so we must just be thankful for the times we had and move on. That’s one thing for me to say, and an
entirely different thing to do as I watch my children struggle through this
season. Returning to school has been
difficult and although they are friendly and play with everyone, they are
clearly a bit lost this year so far.
School days often end in melancholy tears, and it breaks my heart that
there is nothing I can do to make the hurt better or to bring them closer to
the ones they love. The truth is that I
can’t do a single thing to help them find new friends that they will “click”
with. We live in a big city but there
are painfully few Western kids here (none their same ages and genders) and no
matter how good their Chinese language skills are, they will never be seen as
one of the crowd, they will always stand out and be more of a curiosity then
someone that is sought after as a true friend. And I certainly can’t make up for the loss of
having cousins and family close by. I can’t
bring myself to think of what Thanksgiving and Christmas will be like this year
without them all.
So what am I to do with all of this? I find my heart caught in turmoil. On the one hand I see the difficulties and
feel the pain of separation from those we love most with intensity. But on the other hand I am deeply aware of
all we have been blessed with and how terribly wrong it is for me to
complain. I have been overwhelmingly
blessed with an amazing husband and 3 beautiful children. The 5 of us just love spending time together,
playing games, visiting the beach, watching movies, and reading books. I couldn’t ask for a sweeter family. We live in a great apartment with natural
light and a view to the bay that we pay very low rent for. My kids are getting
an amazing quality education in 2 languages.
We’ve been blessed with the sweetest most capable nanny anyone could ask
for so that our working/schooling/visa situation can function as it needs to. She takes such good care of Oliver that I
never need to worry when I am out of the house.
We are all healthy (that’s huge!).
My thankful list could go on and on.
So while on one hand my heart is crying out with the pain and loneliness
that goes along with being separated from my home, my culture, my language, my
friends, and my family, on the other hand I see all that I have been blessed
with and find that I have no right to complain.
It makes for such confusing prayers and disjointed thoughts. The battle raging in my head and heart for
contentment vs. longing is intense. It
exhausts me. So with no way to quiet my
weary soul I find myself crying with the Psalmist, “From the ends of the earth
will I cry to you when my heart is overwhelmed.
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I for you have been my refuge,
my shelter from the storm” I have no
other place to go. (Ps 60)
Bless your heart.... I know how you feel.. ((hug)) Praying for you..
ReplyDelete