Timely Blessings



This has been a long week.  Not quite the sort of week that I think of when it comes to Thanksgiving.  I’ve had my blood drawn too many times to call it normal.  My Thanksgiving Day itself was pretty rough all by itself, I was feeling too sick to focus much on giving thanks.  And was more overcome with worry for this baby growing inside of me than thoughts of thanksgiving or joy.


Checking into the hospital again this morning left me feeling very sad.  Of all things I was/am desperately missing a particular friend who I know would have come with me today to sit and watch movies and just chat while I got endlessly poked and pricked.  Or she would have taken my children so Rob could come sit with me.  Either way, she was so much like a sister to me that she would have been all over this day.  But instead as I sat here alone, I got an unexpected message from someone else who cares about me.  Actually I got two messages, one from a dear friend who is also always there for me, saying she planned to visit me in the afternoon.  This didn’t surprise me as she is one of those friends who never lets you down and I am very blessed to have.  The other unexpected one though was from a sweet woman who I am proud to say is my mother-in-law.  It made me cry.   


Not many people have wonderful relationships with their in-law families.  Ours isn’t perfect of course, and although we have had a few rocky days, I am very blessed by the family I married into.  I have a wonderful sister by birth and so I know the treasure I gained when I got another sister through marriage.  Over the years we have grown the kind of sister bond that most people only get through blood.  She can make me angry and make me laugh like crazy all in one day.  That’s the mark of true sisterhood.  I never had a brother by birth, but I gained one through marriage.  He’s kind and funny as all little brothers should be and has brought me many smiles over the years.  He actually sat outside my delivery room for the birth of my first child and then ran out to get me some food.  Sweet memory.  All of their children I love like my own.  Their amazing sweet, sassy, and funny little personalities bring me so much joy.  My parent’s-in-law always amaze with their faith and consistent trust in God through the many storms life has brought their way.  Despite the crazy life they live and the storms they have weathered, they are generous and joyful, always opening up their home to anyone passing their way. 



Despite how physically poor I felt on Thanksgiving, it was like retreating to a safe-haven to take my children to their home and let them play, laugh, and eat joyfully with these cousins who are like siblings and these aunts/uncles/grandparents who smile at their silly antics and hug them with real love.  It’s an amazingly strange thing to live on the other side of the world and have family close by.  I’ve never met anyone else with a family like this one.  Of course I miss my own family desperately and hate the distance between us.  But I realize the precious blessing I have been given in this family I married into.  That blessing was accentuated this morning by mother-in-laws sweet offer to sit with me in the hospital.  It’s not a short drive to get here and clearly not a fun way to spend your Saturday, so the love behind her offer was very evident.  As I sit here in this quiet hospital room today I am glad for the chance to reflect on my thanksgiving blessings a few days late, and to count at the top of the list this family that I married into.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Identity

Not forgotten

The Fount of Every Blessing