Trust Fall
This fall is flying by.
Already thoughts of Christmas started creeping in this week…….I’m not
usually the kind of girl who starts thinking Christmasy thoughts before
Thanksgiving, but this year involves a lot of looking ahead for me. Being pregnant puts everything on a time
table. Every week gets measured and
counted as an accomplishment and reason for thanks. The tiny baby kicking inside of me constantly
reminds me of his presence, already so full of life and possibilities. He reminds me hourly that he is growing and
will be making his way out into the world before I know it and I will need to
be ready.
In the meantime there are holidays to be celebrated,
children to raise, jobs to do, people to love.
Always so many things swirling around, but I can’t forget the doctor
check ins, the prenatal vitamins, or the the name debate. Thankfully I’m not worried about making a
nursery or nesting in that way just yet.
I have a few wonderful friends/sisters who will give me mostly
everything I need passed down from their own lovable children. After the holidays I’ll make some time and
some space in our apartment for our newest blessing to be welcomed into.
I am a girl who loves action. I don’t like sitting back and waiting for
things to happen to me. I like to make
things happen. I also like control. I like to be in charge of my universe and
keep it on course by my hard work and planning.
Of course life very often doesn’t work that way and I am confronted by
another reality: I’m not in charge. Just like this little baby inside of me
regularly confronts me with the reality of his presence by a sharp kick or the
increasing difficulty I have bending over, life confronts me with my
powerlessness from time to time. When
those confrontations happen, I have the difficult but priceless opportunity to
see inside my own heart. I have to
choose who I really am and what I really believe. The illusion of control is nice, but it’s
only that an illusion. In reality I’m
not the one putting this puzzle together and I don’t always agree with the way
it fits. So when I don’t agree what do I
do? I can either grasp wildly for the
reigns and try to fix everything to be back the way I planned it, or I can bow
before the one who is really in charge, and allow Him to show me a better
way.
I was confronted recently by one of those reality
moments. A situation I desperately
wanted to control, but had no power over.
Angry, I turned to my King and accused Him of not caring, not loving,
not being powerful enough to help me.
Thankfully instead of a stern rebuke, I got a loving redirect. He solved my problem, without my help, in a
different but better way than the one I had chosen. In the end, the resolution clearly had
nothing to do with my fantastic planning skills, hard work, effort, or
resolve. He accomplished what He had
planned to do all along and graciously gave me what I needed in the process.
I will always be a
girl who loves action. I will never
understand people who sit around waiting for “something” to happen. I still believe that God gave us abilities,
skills, and opportunities to be USED for His glory. And so I try to use them with all my
heart. But the difference I think needs
to be in my attitude. When He closes a
door, or blocks my intended path, I need to trust. I need to know that just as He has done EVERY
TIME BEFORE, He will come through for me.
I can trust HIM. So instead of
grasping wildly, angrily, frightened at the strings of my life, I should bow in
worship and trust, knowing He has a better plan and that I will see it in His
time. I should keep serving and working
and worshiping and waiting on Him.



Comments
Post a Comment