Running on Empty
Some days we all run on empty. Life keeps pushing ahead and we find ourselves struggling to keep up. Even the best laid plans sometimes fall through. The unexpected overtakes our day; LIFE HAPPENS.
I had one of those days this week. It should have been a busy but normal day in an already busy week. But before the day even began there were hints that it would stretch me to my limits. Already on my calendar were two appointments I felt unprepared for. A coffee date with a friend who is hurting in deeper ways than I have ever personally experienced and our weekly ladies study, which I was leading on a topic that I felt ill equipped to teach to others. So I began the day with prayer, acknowledging already my inadequacy for the tasks that lay ahead but my desire to do my best for His glory. The day kicked off as it always does with a rush to get out of the house on time, book bags packed, lunches prepared, and uniforms on. Off to school we all went in the car, preparing for a normal morning at school. I work part-time so I usually leave school at 12 with Rob and we both move onto other facets of our life here. Rob had a long drive to a meeting on the other side of the city and I planed to have him drop me off downtown on his way so I could prepare my heart for this coffee date with my hurting friend. But just at the last minute I changed my mind and told him to go on ahead while I finished up one more task at school. It wasn’t something that I needed to do just then and it didn’t make sense that I stayed to do it. But a few minutes later I understood why as someone at the school had a serious medical emergency requiring an immediate trip to the ER. As we raced off to the hospital, I whispered a prayer of thanks, knowing my sudden change of plan was His guidance at just the right time and His way of protecting this one in my care.
An hour later sitting in the hospital, I shot a text off to my friend letting her know I would be late for coffee and would call when I could. Later, when the situation at the hospital was under control, I finally called my friend and asked if she would still like to meet. She told me she was waiting patiently and would look forward to my arrival. SoI rushed off to our original meeting place, arriving an hour late and frazzled. Heavy on my heart was the fact that I knew she was hoping for some advice to ease her pain and I had nothing to offer. But I ordered my coffee and again whispered a desperate prayer for help. As she related to me the complicated story of her pain and her confusion over what to do next, I sat and listened, trying to absorb all the details and offer compassion, but still I had no idea what to I could offer to help. But then just when she began asking for practical ideas and advice, an idea came to me. It wasn’t my idea. I hadn’t walked in with it, and I had never had it before. I didn’t have it while she was talking. But suddenly as sure as I knew God was there, I knew that this was what He wanted me to say. It made sense and it met her need in a gentle and practical way. It was wise. It called for her to wait on Him but at the same time gave her a way to act in faith and express her feelings. It reflected everything she had been learning in His word. It was NOT mine. She was so happy to have an idea. She got a call and slipped away for a second, and I breathed a heavy sigh of relief and thankfulness. She came back moments later with an immediate answer to prayer. He was with us in that room. A few hours later she let me know that she felt like a boulder had rolled off her shoulders and she again had hope. All I could do was praise Him.
We talked for a while but then I had to rush off and pick up my children at school. We went home, did homework, got dinner, got ready for bed, and then Rob arrived home just in time for me to fly out the door for ladies study. I was honest with the girls from the start, our topic for the night was not my favorite one. It was one I personally struggled with and felt ill equipped to teach to others. But again I prayed for wisdom and for help to teach it through the light of His words. Despite my inadequacy our evening went really well and as I taught I also gained a clearer understanding of our topic and how I could practically live it well.
I went home that day exhausted but joyful. I had spent a day empty of energy, ideas, wisdom, and strength and each moment I needed them He provided. He filled me with wisdom and fresh ideas,with good timing, and with grace. In my weakness He was strong. At my emptiest, He was most glorious.
2 Corinthians 12:9 "But He said to me, " My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefor I will boast all the more gladly of my weakness so that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
2 Corinthians 12:9 "But He said to me, " My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefor I will boast all the more gladly of my weakness so that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
Comments
Post a Comment