Taught by the Best
My parents are celebrating their 30 something anniversary
this weekend. What I learned from them
about a good marriage, communication, love, child-rearing, and simple faith is
priceless. It guides me every day. There is not a day that goes by where I do
not hear their wise words as I try to live as a Godly mother and wife in my
home. In
this past year I have helped to teach classes on marriage, parenting, and
Biblical womanhood. My 30+ years of life
experience do not qualify me to talk on these subjects nor does my personal
wisdom. But facing a room full of women
who have had none of the Godly mentoring, parenting, or teaching from God’s
word that I was blessed to grow up under I realized how much I had to
share.
This year I took a new job.
½ of that job places me in a high school science laboratory setting up
lab experiments and mixing chemicals for 3 very qualified science
teachers. I never envisioned a job like
this and certainly didn’t seek it out. The
prospect of it absolutely terrified me.
But to my surprise, it’s not as overwhelming as I had thought. I am thankful every day for Mr. Wood and Mr.
Nelson who poured their hearts into teaching me the amazing wonders of science
in high school. They taught me so well,
that 15 years later I can still remember enough to get the job done.
The other ½ of my job is as the school nurse. Most of that involves caring for skinned
knees, headaches, tummy aches, and nose bleeds.
But just a few weeks into the year now I have also had some less than
minor situations come my way. One in
particular was one of the most acutely ill children I have ever cared for and
it took every ounce of my training to make it through those few hours. We don’t live in a place where the ambulances
arrive fast and the hospitals are reliable.
But I learned critical thinking from a team of nursing instructors, ER
nurses, and doctors who are incredible professionals. Each one of them taught me how to think on my
feet, how to really assess a patient, and how to use all of my available resources. They gave me an amazing gift.
With each passing year as I encounter new cultures, jobs,
responsibilities, stages of life, relationships, and life situations, I find
that someone somewhere has already imparted to me the wisdom that I need to
face the challenge. So many of these people along the way I did not fully appreciate
or even really notice. It’s only as the
years are passing and I come up against something I hadn’t expected that I
realize the value of what I’ve been given.
And along with that realization comes the deep and overwhelming
gratitude to a God who sees so far ahead, a father who has already written my
story. Woven into each chapter and
throughout the whole plot have been characters whose value wasn’t immediately
apparent. But as the plot unfolds I can
see how each and every detail was orchestrated to perfection. How amazing.
If you are one of those people who took your precious time
to teach me, then from the bottom of my heart, I want to say thank you. God has used you in my life in ways I could
never have imagined and I am so thankful for your sacrifice of love. I would put a list of names, but it would be
forever long and I would inevitably forget someone. So I will just trust that God will bless you
for your willingness to invest in one of His children. He didn’t miss the importance of it even if I
did.

Comments
Post a Comment