Season of Blessings
Just this month, my first born turned 6. It was a bittersweet moment for me. He seems just recently to be so old. His questions about life, eternity, and
everything in between are often very deep and insightful. There isn’t very much he needs my help with
anymore. He can dress himself, brush his
own teeth, shower, and so many other things that used to require so much of my
assistance. Of course he still always
wants me around and asks for help even when he doesn’t need it sometimes just
to keep me close. I’m glad he hasn’t
grown out of wanting me nearby. He still
loves to show me everything he makes and every new accomplishment. He is tenderhearted and responsible, always
wanting to do the right thing, ever ready to help.
Six seems old to me.
Maybe because it’s the first birthday I remember. I can picture sitting around my dining room
table with a bunch of giggly little girls.
I could still name most of them I think.
I remember how grown up I felt. I
think my cake was shaped like a butterfly.
Robbie’s birthday was similar and yet very different. A rough and tumble bunch of boys sat around
my dining room table and put together Legos before running off to sword fight
and treasure hunt. It was a true boy
party. It was the first time he told me
that we couldn’t invite any girls. It
was so cute.
Today he marched off to his first day of First Grade
(although we are calling it Year 2 here because it’s a Hong Kong based
school). He was so brave and marched
right inside. I knew in his heart he was
nervous and feeling shy, but he overcame it and did his best to have a
wonderful day. What a change from a year
or even 6 months ago. He prayed with all
his little heart on his way to school that he would trust and not be afraid and
so he was given faith to conquer the day.
I was so proud. He came home with
exciting stories and told us before bed that he was thankful for his fun day at
school. That is huge for him. I am thankful too.
This is a season of wonderful blessing for me. My children are young, young enough to be
seriously fun and cute, but yet old enough to be helpful and flexible. They don’t need me as much as they used to,
but they still want me desperately. It
is a treasure to be their mother. In my
own wisdom I would have asked for more.
I always planned for a bigger family than this. But in His wisdom He has closed that door to
me for now. And I find that it’s
ok. My arms and my heart are full with
two precious treasures and this is indeed a season of blessing for me.
Comments
Post a Comment