The End of a Chapter


Our little preschool world
                                                                 
The beautiful painting by Maddie's Teacher

Pizza Making Party
About a month ago now, we closed the door on a wonderful chapter of our lives.  2 1/2 years ago Rob and I came to visit the city we now live in.  We came in search of a preschool for our kids.  We had nothing really to go on, but an internet search.  We didn't know anyone who lived in the area and had nowhere to go for recommendations.  So after arriving in town, we started to work off the list we had come up with.  We visited schools so gross that I almost puked from the smell the minute we walked in the building and so ritzy we would never be able to afford them.  We couldn't even get past the gate of one school so exclusive we weren't fit to enter the property grounds.  We were feeling a bit lost.  Finally I asked a taxi driver where he would take his own children if he had a choice.  He pointed to the ritzy school and I said, no it was too much.  Anything more normal?  He drove us to ShanShui YouErYuan (Mountain Water preschool).  After a quick tour I knew in my heart it was the place for us. No one seemed a bit concerned that we were foreigners, in fact they seemed quite used to the idea.  It was warm, friendly, and clean.  No lurking smells.  Just smiling happy children and a kind, knowledgeable staff.   We thanked God for pointing us in the right direction and went home confident that we had found what we were looking for.
                                                                                             
My Sweet Sister
My Sweet Co-Teachers!

2 years later, I am even more thankful for the taxi driver who sent us that way.  Inside the gates of this little school we have found friendship and community.  Robbie entered the gates with teary eyes and was immediately taken in by the sweetest and most loving teacher I could ever have asked for.  She gently and firmly taught him Chinese and saw beyond his shy exterior to help him become the friendly, helpful boy that I knew was inside.  Maddie joined a year later to met by a vivacious and gutsy teacher who matched wits with my little pixie in a way that brought a smile to my face.  And finally I joined in as an English teacher to a roomful of sweet and crazy children who taught me as much about Chinese culture and language learning as the dedicated teachers I worked alongside of.  It was a joy for me to get to know these teachers on a personal level.  What I saw and liked as a parent, I experienced and loved as a friend and co-worker.  This wonderful group of women gave me their friendship and welcomed me to learn along with them how to teach and how to share cultures and ideas.  I gained many friends and even 1 precious sister.

Maddie's Teacher Angela

Robbie's Teacher Rita


We are excited for our next chapter at a new school, but our goodbyes were tearful and heartfelt here.  I feel a debt of gratitude to the wonderful women who lovingly taught me and my children that I hope to repay with continued friendship and more chances to tell the greatest story ever told.  To end our time they joined me at my home for a pizza making party.  We shared laughs, hugs, and memories.  Our time in their world was a gift that we will treasure as a family for years to come.  And we know, "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights".  So we bow our heads in thanks to the giver of all good things and we are again in awe that He sees and knows us.
My silly funny class

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fount of Every Blessing

I did it again :-)

Better a Neighbor who is near