Strange Reassurance
This past week was filled with difficult news on all sides of the world. The two countries that I call home were rocked by tragedy both natural and evil. I grieved to read the news and hear stories of the lives that were lost and the pain and suffering that were inflicted. But also in a strange way reflecting on the stories brought me some reassurance and comfort.
Since we announced our move to Asia, there have been the regular and innocently asked questions about the safety of our choice. “You’re braver than I am”, “I could never do that”, “Your poor mother”, “Are you afraid?”. Whether intentional or unintentional they always inflict some small measure of guilt in my heart. After all, what kind of a mother chooses to move her children away from the safety of a modern country and into a country where medical care, clean air, and safe food are not always readily available? As the guilt and doubts pop up in the soil of my heart, I always try to prune them out with the truths of scripture. I know in my head that following God is right despite it’s apparent lack of logic to everyone else.
Recently however, the questions have been insistent. The pollution in our area has gotten steadily worse. The Bird Flu is spreading. The water and food are questionable and most likely covered in chemicals. The medical system is terrible. So what kind of a mother does that make me? I have been feeling insecure, doubtful, and a little bit fearful.
Then the bombing in Boston occurred last week, followed by the explosion in Texas, and the earthquake in China. And I remembered……..we aren’t safe anywhere. We are no more safe in a beautiful clean city in America then we are in a polluted seaside city in China. This is true because our safety is not determined by our location, or our situation, or our environment. It is determined by God. We have no guarantee of physical safety in this life. But as Christians we have the assurance that in everything God is directing our steps and arranging our lives so that weather in life or death, health or sickness, joy or sorrow He is glorified and we are made more like Him. After all, my end goal as a mother shouldn’t be the physical security of my children, but rather the condition of their eternal souls. It was a much needed reminder for my easily confused heart.
Psalm 4:8 “In Peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety”
Since we announced our move to Asia, there have been the regular and innocently asked questions about the safety of our choice. “You’re braver than I am”, “I could never do that”, “Your poor mother”, “Are you afraid?”. Whether intentional or unintentional they always inflict some small measure of guilt in my heart. After all, what kind of a mother chooses to move her children away from the safety of a modern country and into a country where medical care, clean air, and safe food are not always readily available? As the guilt and doubts pop up in the soil of my heart, I always try to prune them out with the truths of scripture. I know in my head that following God is right despite it’s apparent lack of logic to everyone else.
Recently however, the questions have been insistent. The pollution in our area has gotten steadily worse. The Bird Flu is spreading. The water and food are questionable and most likely covered in chemicals. The medical system is terrible. So what kind of a mother does that make me? I have been feeling insecure, doubtful, and a little bit fearful.
Then the bombing in Boston occurred last week, followed by the explosion in Texas, and the earthquake in China. And I remembered……..we aren’t safe anywhere. We are no more safe in a beautiful clean city in America then we are in a polluted seaside city in China. This is true because our safety is not determined by our location, or our situation, or our environment. It is determined by God. We have no guarantee of physical safety in this life. But as Christians we have the assurance that in everything God is directing our steps and arranging our lives so that weather in life or death, health or sickness, joy or sorrow He is glorified and we are made more like Him. After all, my end goal as a mother shouldn’t be the physical security of my children, but rather the condition of their eternal souls. It was a much needed reminder for my easily confused heart.
Psalm 4:8 “In Peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety”
Comments
Post a Comment