When a Band-aid Won't Help

Some days it feels like you can’t catch your breath. Life moves at such tremendous speed. Nothing in life is very dependable, especially life in this place. Some days the sun is shining, making me eager to tackle the day, and some days the rain and wind are so bad that I wish I could stay in bed and hide forever.

In this month of Thanksgiving we have taken extra time as a family each day to verbalize our thankful list. It’s something we do every day in family devotions, but this month we’ve been writing it down on a thankful tree (I’m sure you’ve all seen them on pintrest). There are more things to be thankful for than I could ever fill a tree with. I am well aware that my cup is full and my blessings are overflowing. But my heart is aching all the same. Not for me, because I have far more than I could ever ask for. But it seems as if every day the list of my dearest friends and family who are suffering keeps getting longer and longer until I feel as if my heart will burst from the weight of it. The pain of living this life is sometimes such an awful load to bear. Cancer, mother’s with empty arms, chronic painful diseases, broken and bleeding marriages, old age, abortions, and uncertain futures pull on my heart and drive me to my knees. It seems there isn’t much to depend on; health is so fleeting, people so fickle, money such a vapor, emotions so volatile, security so insecure. I find it hard to see through the fog of emotions that is clouding my view.

I want to jump in and wrap everyone in my arms, to make it better, to ease the pain, to patch the bleeding wounds. I’m a nurse at heart, my first instinct is to jump in and help, bring out the bandaids, unwrap the gauze, look in the medicine cabinet, whatever it takes to start the healing process. But as I stare into the face of these gaping wounds, I find that my bandaids won’t help. I feel powerless and a bit lost and so I’m putting down my bandaids and getting on my knees. What I need, what they need, is THE HEALER, The Great Physician, The Lamb of God, my creator. He’s the only one I could ever depend on. The only one who’s never left me, disappointed me, or failed me. He’s the only one’s who’s never been too busy, or not answered their phone, or not understood when I came crying. He’s the ONLY constant in my life. He’s THE rock in the middle of my stormy sea. I can’t see past these storm clouds, and I can’t find a cure for the painful aches in the hearts of those I love, but I KNOW HE CAN. So I’ve gone running to my rock and I’m holding His hand, begging Him to do what only He can do, Heal the brokenhearted.

“We are the broken, you are the healer, Jesus, Redeemer, Mighty to save, You are the love song we’ll sing forever, bowing before blessing your name”
Psalm 147:3 “He heals the brokenhearted, and binds up all their wounds”
Psalm 61:1-3”Hear my cry O God, listen to my prayer, from the ends of the earth will I cry to you when my heart is overwhelmed, Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, for you have been my refuge, a stronger tower”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Identity

Not forgotten

The Fount of Every Blessing