A little refreshment

We made a last minute decision to start off 2012 with a little refreshment. Maria and Bruna graciously agreed to watch our kids so we could fly out to Xi'an and visit some very good friends of ours; the Smith's, the Rice's and Liz. There have been less than a handful of times we have left our kids overnight in the past and most of those have revolved around traveling for our vocation and were not for personal reasons. So this was a real treat for us! (In my next post I will tell a little about our site seeing adventures in Xi'an and put up some of the great pictures I got there. It's a beautiful city!)


Raising kids and making good decisions for your family is difficult in any culture. There are always many options, many opinions, influences of upbringing, family & friends, cultural pressures. Deciding how to structure your home, balance work & family, discipline & educate your kids, create family values & priorities is never easy. Add to that the dynamic of living in a completely different culture, and you sometimes find yourself at a loss of what to do. Some decisions like who plays what roll in the family, are easy for our family, because we do the best we can to structure our family values and priorities around God's words to us. Other decisions like how to educate your child (international school, Chinese school, home school) are pretty difficult. Trying to weigh out all of the options and separate out what is merely a cultural preference and what is truly an issue to be taken seriously can seem daunting and overwhelming.


For those reasons and many more, it was really refreshing to us to be able to sit down with and talk and laugh with people who understand where we are coming from. Some of the things that come up in family life here are just normal, some are confusing, and some are really funny. Having the opportunity to sit down with a couple who share our values because of our mutual relationship with Christ, was priceless. There are many times we wish we had access to the wisdom of older couples who have successfully raised kids abroad, or even successfully raised kids at home. But since we live here in small communities made up mostly of young people, those opportunities are few and far between. So it is a comfort at least to have each other and a common bond to keep us talking and laughing together as we experience family life in a strange place.


It was also great fun for me to be able to spend a few days with Rob that didn't involve our kids. I love our kids dearly, they are sweet, and funny, and fill our life with joy. But, some days I struggle to remember what life was like before them. It seems like a long time ago, and I can't remember what we used to talk about or laugh about, before our lives were wrapped up in these precious imps. So it was a delight to run around the beautiful old city of Xi'an, snapping pictures, and laughing together. I forget sometimes how much I love my husband. He truly is a wonderful treasure and I'm glad for the reminder of how much joy he alone brings to my life.


So we returned from our adventure, refreshed in spirit and excited to see our munchkins. I returned with a fresh vision for being the mother that I want to be but often fail to be. My little stint away gave me a renewed desire to dive into God's word and seek the wisdom He has promised for being the wife and mother He has called me to be. I have been given a wonderful treasure in friends, family, husband, and children. I can't wait to spend another year with them all.


Comments

  1. Do you know Dave and Jane P at our school? They raised their children in SE Asia before moving here. I know they're not in your city now that you've moved, but they are open and easy to talk to. I'd be happy to introduce you if you like :)
    Lily

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Identity

Not forgotten

The Fount of Every Blessing