Bind it on your heart
We've been in somewhat of an internet dead zone for the past week or so and also been traveling much with my family and Rob's family as well as visiting with friends around the northeast. So my blogging has fallen a bit by the wayside. However, I have a computer this morning, and was woken early by some little people in need of a drink. They fell asleep again but I can't, so it's a nice quiet moment alone to write :-)
We have had an amazing summer traveling around, visiting family and friends, and sharing our experiences abroad. We've shared lots of hugs, laughter, and great food :-) We've still got about 12 more days left, but it's winding quickly down and these last weeks always go the fastest. As I was unsuccessfully trying to go back to sleep this morning, I was reflecting on our travels here and all the stories we share with people as we travel. Many of those stories make it onto this blog if it is possible to share them that way safely. Since we are constantly seeing different family and friends, I find that we re-tell the same stories over and over and over. I was thinking this morning that opposite of what I would tend to think, the constant re-telling of these stories doesn't bore me or make them less special to me. In contrast, the re-telling is sinking them deeper and deeper and deeper into my heart. They are all stories of HIS faithfulness to us. Some are funny, some are crazy, and some make me cry no matter how many times I've said it outloud, but each story carries with it a reminder of how HE kept HIS promises to us. I find that in the telling and re-telling of a story, the lesson of HIS grace and goodness to me sinks in a bit more every time. These stories re-surface in my mind as I am faced with new situations where I am tempted to doubt or fear that maybe this time I can't trust HIM. They are my continual teachers, the constant reminder that HE has never failed me in the past, NOT EVEN ONCE. In fact they are the proof that HE has again and again and again provided for not just my needs but also my desires. Psalm 145:13 The Lord is faithful in all his words
and kind in all his works HE doesn't go just as far as the basics, but above beyond what I could imagine.
A really long time ago there were no books so the only way to preserve a story was to tell it again and again and again so that it wasn't forgotten. It was a valuable tradition used to preserve history. These days we can write down anything, but with so much information available I find it is so easy to forget. Our society is so fast paced and life is always on the move. But our hearts are still the same which is why I think this verse in Deuteronomy 4:9 sticks out so much to me, "Only take care, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things that your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. Make them known to your children and your children's children" I forget things so easily (stories, dates, information), but more importantly things depart from my heart so easily. If I forget the goodness of God from yesterday, I fear to trust Him today. But when the undeniable stories of His goodness are in front of my eyes, how can I do anything but trust? My children won't remember a lot from these past 2 years on their own, they are too young. But what a tragedy if they don't grow up knowing the stories of how HE took care of us again and again. Psalm 145:4 "One generation shall commend your works to another,
and shall declare your mighty acts"

Comments
Post a Comment