Life's Not Fair

Did you ever whine to your mom when you were a kid about something stupid? You know; your sister took your toy, some other kid had a nicer bike, ect.... Of course your wonderful mother responded, "Life's Not Fair, get used to it." I suppose all truly amazing mothers and fathers have said that at some point. I am pretty sure I have already said that to Robbie once or twice. How is it then that we grow up still imagining life will turn out fair? We somehow always expect that things will balance out, people will be nice, and generally life will be somewhat fair. If you're American like me, you probably feel pretty entitled to that reality. I know I do. I am always slightly shocked and appalled when life is flat out NOT FAIR. I feel as if there should be a solution to these things. I feel like we should be able to confront the unfairness; be it from people, government, employers, or sometimes even God and have it corrected. Because after all, I deserve for things to be fair right? I am a logical and detailed person. I fully expect the I's to dot and the T's to cross and when they do not, I fix them. Of course sometimes I can't and that begs the question; how will I respond?

This last week has been chalked up crazy full of NOT FAIR moments. Not all for me personally but for people I love dearly. And these are not "my sister took my toy" kind of moments, but big, ugly, wicked, unfair kind of things. And these are situations that will NOT be fixed. The laws here are subject to the whims of powerful men who's only concern is money, power, and "saving face". If you don't know the right people, or have enough money, or if to act in fairness would *gasp* cause someone to "loose face" then it matters not what is right or legal or fair. My heart aches for them and aches that we could live in such a world, in such a place. I was overwhelmed by the enormity of it last week and I was walking outside to the grocery store talking to God (which is my favorite way to talk to Him). I'm sure I looked silly to all the people I passed; tears streaming down my face, muttering to myself (of course I am always a spectacle, being white like I am :-). "Why God, why do you allow these things?" "I am just so tired, tired of fighting with these closed minded people in this dark place" "I want to go home" But then I stopped and thought "is my passport country any better?" Not really, it is full of its' own level of corruption not to mention a rampant desire for pleasure and comfort above all else. And if I look to the rest of the world what do I see but, violence, poverty, corruption, and orphans beyond number. So where is it that I am longing for? The answer that rings stronger and stronger in my soul with every passing year is that old song, "This world is not my home, I'm just a passin through, my treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue" This world is certainly not fair, but we know that. Isaiah 53:6 says, "All we like sheep have gone astray, we have turned - EVERY ONE - to his own way" We are certainly all guilty of that. As everyone goes their own way, we inevitably and frequently hurt each other. It never looks harmonious when everyone in a crowd, or an office, or a country, or a family is trying to do their own thing, to pave their own way, to be the master's of their own destiny. It shouldn't shock me that we hurt each other, I certainly have hurt my own share of people trying to go "my way". The beautiful part of that verse is of course the end, "And the Lord has laid on HIM the iniquity of us ALL" Then listen to what He says to us in Isaiah 55, "Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy? Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good, and delight yourselves in rich food. Incline your ear, and come to me; hear, that your soul may live....Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while He is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts, let him return to the Lord, that He may have compassion on him, and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon." What a gift. That is what my soul is thirsty for. I am thirsty for the day when I will stand with Him and look on His face. The one who gives so freely to any who would come; pardon for sins, abundant life, and an eternity with NO pain, suffering, hurt, hopelessness, hunger, injustice, or poverty. But most of all HIM. I want to just go sit with Him and be at rest.

But for now I will content myself with knowing that this life and all of its' struggles are only a vapor. I don't understand much of what happens here; it seems painful and unjust but Isaiah 55 continues, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are my ways your ways declares the Lord. For as the heaves are higher than the earth so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." I don't have to understand because He does and I KNOW that I can trust Him. Just around the corner is endless beauty. Just around the corner is the Lover of my Soul. I will stand with Him someday soon and this mess in which I now live will be a distant dream with the hand of God written across it.

(and today He has granted me a glimpse of that joy and beauty. My mother is here :-)

Comments

  1. Thanks Gretchen, very encouraging, perspective makes all the difference in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking about the concept of fairness today. I wish that I could hug you right now. But I know that someday we will hold hands and praise Him together forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Thank you for this, Gretchen. What a beautiful post from your heart. I loved it. Such a good reminder that what we really ache for is Him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Identity

Not forgotten

The Fount of Every Blessing