Sisters

My husband is awesome! He is my best friend in the world, loves me like no one else, understands me like no one else, and is absolutely irreplaceable to me. But, as amazing as he is and for all the joy he brings to my life, I still need my sister. There is nothing quite like having a sister who is also your "soul-sister". My sister has always been that for me. We are 2 1/2 years apart, and we are it. We had no other siblings so growing up it was just us. We did everything together, we played, we fought, we played, and fought some more. We shared a room and fought over clothes and toys. She was my best friend and my worst enemy on the same day :-) But, as we grew she became more and more my best friend. We still had our fair share of fights so when she suggested that we room together in college, I was a little skeptical. But, it was my best year of college hands down. We had an awesome time sharing a room one more time. We endured all the fun of BJ together, laughed at the craziness, hid our private stash of food and assorted other banned items :-) Then if that wasn't quite enough, after she got married she moved into the apartment below me and we shared a closet again which was totally awesome! So we were roomates in preschool and college and neighbors as adults.
Basically we have been there for each other for every major event, all the kids stuff, high school drama, boyfriends, college, devastating breakups, engagements,showers, weddings, the birth of my first 2 children, and my move to China. We have never missed a thing......until now. Really soon, like maybe today, or any minute now, my sister will have her first baby. And I will miss it, all of it; every contraction, every tear, and every amazing moment. Katie slept in the hospital waiting room while I was in labor, and sat outside my door in the hallway while I delivered. She didn't miss a beat and was there for me through all of the amazing moments, and exhausted moments of early motherhood. She's been the most awesome aunt a kid could have. My kids still squeal to see her on skype. So, I am sitting here, with my skype on and my phone charged, waiting for the call. Any time now I will be an aunt. And although I am SO SO happy and excited for my sister and I can't wait to hear about my little nephew or niece, my heart is breaking. I can't believe I won't be there, and won't get to hold this precious new life, or hug my sister. I left a big piece of my heart with her in PA. This is a first for both of us, and it is hard. We have both shed lots of tears and I am sure there will be many more. Poor Rob will just need to hold the tissue box next to me all week as I am a weepy mess.
But, although I am sad, I realize what a precious gift I have in my sister. She is the best friend a girl could ask for. We laugh together, cry together, and understand each other like no one else could. That is really amazing and I am SO thankful for her. God gave me a priceless treasure in her before I was even old enough to understand. So now I will sit by the phone, and wait for the news, and hold my tissue box, and thank God for the blessing that is my sister. I love you so much Katie!
Comments
Post a Comment