The crazy foreigners





So this past week we took a little trip to a nearby city. Some good friends of ours were able to come along who also have 2 small kids. Our kids love each other so it was nice to travel together and do some exploring. I managed to publicly humiliate myself twice in our 2 days and thought I would share them with you :-)

It was apparent as we were walking around that the city we were traveling in had WAY less westerners than our current location. We are generally used to being stared at, but this city was a little more extreme. We only saw about 4 other westerners during our time in the city, so we were definitely a curiosity. Our first night there we were treated to dinner by a business contact of our friends. As we were sitting in the booth, Rob told me that he thought Maddie might be pooping. So, I layed her down on a changing pad on the booth seat next to me. WOW! I haven't seen that big of a blowout since infancy! It was way to extreme to deal with in the dining area, so I left poor Rob with the nasty diaper and scooped up bare bottomed Maddie, some spare clothes, and the few wipes I had and headed off to the bathroom with trails of eyes behind me. In China there are NO diaper changing stations anywhere. There was a tiny 2 stalled bathroom with one sink. The sink counter was covered in water, so I hastily wiped it off with the only papertowel to be had in the bathroom. I stood poor Maddie on the sink and had to strip her down. She was covered in poop from bare bottom to her neck, along with a streak across her cheek. Yuck! So of course she was shivering and screaming, and I was struggling to soak the wipes and clean her off as quickly as possible. People were coming into the bathroom and just staring. If you thought a fully clothed white baby was exciting, imagine a naked one covered in poop. Then she peed all over the counter. I just barely scooped up the clean clothes before they got ruined too. It was exciting! One spectator thankfully offered me a pack of clean tissues which i used to dry her off before holding her in mid air with my one arm and dressing her with the other since the counter was covered in pee. Pretty sure none of the people there will ever forget us.

Just in case not enough people in town had heard enough, I got a repeat performance the next day with Robbie at the playground. There was a sand pit which he was having a great time in, until some little kid threw sand in the air and he got sand in both eyes. Rob was off getting us food and my friend is pregnant, so I was on my own. He was screaming so I ran over, and took off his shirt since it was the only one I had. Then I had to sit down with him, and restrain his legs with my legs and his arms with one of my arms. With my free hand I had to pry open his eyelids, and pour my bottled water into his eyes to flush them out. Of course this wasn't his favorite activity so he screamed as loud as possible the whole time. Again we gathered quite a crowd. I am pretty sure the people of HD will not forget the crazy white lady and her public child torture sessions any time soon! I may be famous!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Identity

Not forgotten

The Fount of Every Blessing